Benjamin A. Leonard joined Bovis, Kyle, Burch & Medlin, LLC, in 2009, and his practice is primarily devoted to defending employers and insurers under Title 34, the Georgia Workers’ Compensation Act. He is a well-seasoned litigator, having litigated well over 100 claims to resolution in Georgia courts across the state, including matters at the Georgia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. Mr. Leonard is also one of a handful of Georgia practitioners who has been trained and certified in Medicare Set Aside allocation and implementation, having received that certification from the University of Florida in 2010.
Mr. Leonard has been honored with the distinction of being a Georgia SuperLawyer in Workers’ Compensation from 2007 through the current year, a distinction only awarded to the top 5% of all attorneys in their chosen field of law. He was recently selected by his peers to serve on the executive council for the Atlanta Bar Association Workers’ Compensation section, and has previously served on the Steering Committee of the State Board of Workers’ Compensation. Mr. Leonard is regularly chosen to present at state, regional and national seminars on a variety of insurance and litigation topics. He has been rated as an “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell peer reviewers, a rating reflecting the highest standard of work quality excellence and ethics in legal practice.
Mr. Leonard grew up in Winston-Salem, NC and attended the University of North Carolina at Asheville for his undergraduate studies. While there he was a 4 time letterman on the Cross-Country, Indoor and Outdoor Track teams, a member of Theta Chi Fraternity, and was chosen for membership in Phi Alpha Theta honors society. He attended law school at Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law in Macon, GA, where he served on the Board of Governors, as a student editor of the Journal of Southern Legal History, and served as head coach of the Men’s and Women’s Cross-Country teams. Mr. Leonard, his wife Tracy, and daughter Arabella all reside in Milton, GA. They are active in community charity work including the Atlanta Circle for Children and Homeless Pets. Mr. Leonard regularly supports the UNC-Asheville athletic program, and is also an avid fan of all Tarheel sports, Crimson Tide football, and the Carolina Panthers.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Council for Litigation Management Alliance
- Member of the National Retail & Restaurant Defense Association (NRRDA)
Recent Presentations and White Papers
- New Rules of Evidence in Georgia and impeachment techniques for trial, Atlanta Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section annual seminar, Atlanta, GA February 2014
- Medicare Set-Aside strategies in Workers’ Compensation claims, ICLE Georgia Workers Compensation seminar, St. Simons, GA October 2013
- Ethics, Benefits and Pitfalls of Automated Fee Auditing, Council on Litigation Management Alliance National Seminar, San Antonio, TX, April 2013
- Recent rulings from the Appellate Division of State Board of Workers Compensation, Atlanta Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section annual seminar, Atlanta, GA February, 2013
- Peer review usage in claims handling, Council on Litigation Management Alliance National Seminar, San Diego, CA, April 2012