Marilyn L. Bardie Kapaun practices domestic relations law as an attorney in the Family Law practice of Bovis, Kyle, Burch & Medlin, LLC and also teaches law as a Professor at Georgia State University in the Andrew Young Policy Studies School.
Prior to working for Bovis, Kyle, Burch & Medlin, she was a Marketing Executive for two international high tech conglomerates and worked as Editor in Chief of a high tech magazine. She won the Editorial Excellence award in 1997 for being one of the Top 50 Editors in the United States.
Marilyn divides her time equally between practicing law in the area of domestic relations (i.e., divorce, custody, modifications, adoptions) and teaching law at Georgia State University. In domestic relations, Marilyn has particular expertise in preparing witnesses for trial and evaluating jury issues.
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Atlanta Bar Association
Family Law Section of State Bar of Georgia
Honors & Awards
- Awarded “10 Best in Client Satisfaction in Georgia for 2015” by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys.
- Awarded two fellowships during law school based on superior writing and scholastic achievement.
- Awarded “Outstanding Instructor of the Year” by Georgia State University’s Criminal Justice Department for 2014.
- Rated a Georgia 2017 Super Lawyer, an honor and distinction 5% of attorneys in Georgia receive for excellence in practice. Selection is made by peer review.
Publications & Articles
- "The Criminal Law Handbook," published in the Georgia State University Sept. 2007 Criminal Justice Review
- Speaker to The Forsyth Bar on Legal Writing
- Radio personality on Radio Sandy Springs discussing divorce and custody topics
In the News
- Judge for the William Daniel National Invitational Mock Trial
- Judge for the American Association for Justice Regional Mock Trial
- Judge for Emory Moot Court Society's Civil Rights and Liberties Competition.
Volunteer Firm Champion for Georgia Legal Food Frenzy, a charitable organization for enrichment of the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
- Italian (some)